st: Re: Hausman Test when the RE OLS model includes time-constant variables

From   "Pavlos C. Symeou" <[email protected]>
To   "Rodrigo Alfaro A." <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Re: Hausman Test when the RE OLS model includes time-constant variables
Date   Thu, 17 Apr 2008 19:47:33 +0100

Rodrigo,

Thanks for your reply. I understand that there might be correlation between the random effect and x(i,t) using the RE. However, the RE model on the one hand allows me to include the industry dummies (crucial for the model's specification) and on the other hand most coefficients are statistically significant and support my theoretical arguments. To the contrary, in order to include the industry dummies in the FE model, I need to create interactions and even if I do that, the model hardly explains any relationship as all of my coefficients are statistically insignificant. In addition, the RE reports much higher R-squares (around 0.3) than the FE (around 0.02). Is there a way that I can account for this correlation whilst maintaining my existing (and only) variables in the model?

Thanks,

Pavlos