Re: RE: st: Memory Issues

From   "Gabi Huiber" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: RE: st: Memory Issues
Date   Fri, 4 Apr 2008 17:40:16 -0400

Sergiy, when you have a minute could you please elaborate on point 4
of your post?

On Fri, Apr 4, 2008 at 4:25 PM, Sergiy Radyakin <[email protected]> wrote:

> 4. From what I know, Vista should do better then XP in giving Stata
> more memory. A typical limit for Stata 10 would be about 700-800 MB on
> XP 32-bit, and about 1500MB on Vista 32-bit.

I am asking because I'm running 32-bit XP with 2G of RAM and I keep
having to kill background processes in order to free up enough
contiguous memory to set mem in the 900M-1G range when I do need that
much (it happens on occasion). I stuck with XP when I upgraded my
computer last year because I kept hearing horror stories about how
Vista was hungrier than XP, and I figured for my money I'd rather have
Stata taken care of than watch a prettier GUI. If I'm reading you
correctly, that was not at all a tradeoff I had to make. Too bad.

Gabi