Re: st: Displaying within Stata version 8 graphs that were generated in Stata version 10

From   "Svend Juul" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Displaying within Stata version 8 graphs that were generated in Stata version 10
Date   Thu, 3 Apr 2008 23:24:59 +0200

Helen wrote:

I have Stata version 8.2 on my Mac. However I have to
work on a dataset in a lab where there is only Stata
version 10 on a PC. At the lab, I ran a do-file with the
version command (i.e. "version 8") right at the beginning
of the do-file, and in the do-file I generated some
graphs. When I tried to "graph use" the graphs that I
had generated in the lab (i.e. using Stata version 10
on a PC) at home (i.e. using Stata version 8.2 on a Mac)
however, I got the following error message:

-----
file /Users/me/YRSEDU_yrinsho.gph is a new format that
this version of Stata does not know how to read
suggestion: type -update query-
r(610);
-----

I typed "update query" and the information was that my
version of Stata version 8 is updated.

Is there a way for me to generate live-format graphs
using Stata Version 10 on a PC, which I can later on
display and modify etc using Stata Version 8 on a Mac ?
I know that if one wants to run a command under a
specific version of Stata, one can use the "version #"
command. But I did use the "version" command at the top
of the do-file which generated the graphs, and still I
can't even display the graphs using my Stata version 8.

Good habit to define the graph with a do-file. The obvious
solution, I think, is to re-run that do-file on your Mac.

Potential problem: You may not have access to the data
behind the graph on your Mac. That problem can not be
solved from this distance.

Hope you find a workable solution.
Svend

Svend Juul