RE: st: How to create a rank?

From   "Newson, Roger B" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: How to create a rank?
Date   Tue, 4 Mar 2008 20:30:27 -0000

As it happens, at least one statistical reason for using the default
ranks of -rank()- is that these are the ranks used in the Wilcoxon
ranksum test (see on-line help for -ranksum-).

These default ranks can be used to define Somers' D(Y|X), where Y is the
variable being ranked and X is a binary variable. Somers' D is the
parameter behind the so-called "non-parametric" ranksum test. If X has
values 0 and 1, then Somers' D is the difference between 2
probabilities, namely the probability that a random Y-value from the
sub-population where X==1 is larger than a random Y-value from the
subpopulation where X==0 and the probability that a random Y-value from
the subpopulation where X==0 is larger than a random Y-value from the
subpopulation where X==1.

If the sample number is N, and the numbers of X-values equal to 0 and 1
are N_0 and N_1, respectively, and Y_ij is the j'th Y-value in the
subsampl;e where X==i for i in {0,1} and j from 1 to N_i, then we have
the equality

D(Y|X) = (2/N) * ( (Sum_j=1^N_1 Rank(Y_1j)/N_1) - (Sum_j=1^N_0
Rank(Y_0j)/N_0) )

or, in other words, the difference between the 2 subsample mean ranks
multiplied by 2/N. Under these conditions, Somers' D is also known as
the rank-biserial correlation (RBC) coefficient of Cureton (1956).

I would like to thank Mike Lacy of Colorado State University for drawing
my attention to Edward Cureton's work on Somers' D for binary X, which
pre-dates the more general definition of Somers' D for possibly
non-binary X (Somers, 1962).

Roger

References

Cureton EE. Rank-biserial correlation. Psychometrika 1956; 21(3):
287-290.

Somers RH. A new asymmetric measure of association for ordinal
variables. American Sociological Review 1962; 27: 799-811.

Roger B Newson
Lecturer in Medical Statistics
National Heart and Lung Institute
Imperial College London