Re: st: How to create a rank?

From   "Song" <>
To   <>
Subject   Re: st: How to create a rank?
Date   Mon, 3 Mar 2008 21:57:51 -0600

Thank you. I solved my problem. By the way, if there exist ties, egen rank = rank(revenue) also creates a problem. In my case, the command produced ***.5, etc. instead of a whole number.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Nick Cox" <>
To: <>
Sent: Monday, March 03, 2008 3:11 AM
Subject: RE: st: How to create a rank?

As mentioned in my earlier posting, this fixes the reversal but does the
wrong thing in the presence of ties.

For ranks, use -egen, rank()-. It's as simple as that.

Jeremy Miles

How about :

gen revenue_reversed = revenue * -1
sort revenue_reversed
egen rank=group(revenue_reversed)

 I am trying to create 'rank' based on total revenues. I used the

 sort revenue
 egen rank=group(revenue)

 The result is that the smallest revenue is 1 and the highest revenue
is 100,
 for example. How can I reverse the rank? I want the highest revenue
to be
 number '1'.
* For searches and help try: