st: Basic question to Count Data models

From   Markus Köller <>
Subject   st: Basic question to Count Data models
Date   Wed, 27 Feb 2008 18:36:57 +0100

Hello everyone,

I have some basic questions about Count Data Models.
I am trying to estimate the total number of children a woman gives birth to dependend on some explanatory variables, like f.e. education_high, education_low and age.

F.E. Amount of Children= f(educ_high, educ_low, age)

I want to use a Count Data Model, since Poisson distribution seems to be the proper assumption for it.

Problem: I donŽt have any idea how to implement it into stata. Does stata have such functions? And what are the commands for them?

Another problem: Someone told me that "dispersion" or "under-dispersion" might be a problem with a Count Data Model. I did some research but couldnŽt find anyhting about that. Does anyone of you know whether this is true? And if so, can you give me a hint or literature suggestion, what "under-dispersion" is and how I could face it in my problem?

Thanks a lot,
Bis 50 MB Dateianhänge? Kein Problem!