Re: st: Critical values for stock and yogo test when the clusteroption is used

From   "Danny Cohen-Zada" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Critical values for stock and yogo test when the clusteroption is used
Date   Wed, 27 Feb 2008 19:22:47 +0200

Dear Professor Shaffer,

I thought again and i think i understood that i should compare 5.26 to 16.38 and i should be worry about the strength of my instrument. Am i right?

Danny

----- Original Message ----- From: "Schaffer, Mark E" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Wednesday, February 27, 2008 5:18 PM
Subject: RE: st: Critical values for stock and yogo test when the clusteroption is used

Danny,

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of
Danny Cohen-Zada
Sent: Wednesday, February 27, 2008 2:58 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: st: Critical values for stock and yogo test when
the clusteroption is used

Dear Professor Austin and other statalist subscribers

I only want to add that in the email today I clarified
something that wasn't clear enough in the private mail
yesterday. The points is that the results much differ if I
use the clustered f-statistic instead of the regular one.
The regular f-statistic is 158 which is extremely above the
regular critical value (the critical values are between
5.53-16.38). This indicate that the instrument is extremely
strong. However, if i compare the clustered f-statistic
(5.26) to the regular critical values I may come to an
opposite conclusion that my instrument is quite weak (it is
only close to the 25% maximal iv size). Should i worry about
the strength of my instrument?
The short answer is "yes", you should worry, and your intution below is
right.

The problem starts out just like the usual problem of using non-robust
SEs for inference.  If the disturbance is heteroskedastic or clustered,
the usual SEs are wrong, and usually [sic] you'll get SEs that are "too
small" and test stats that are "too big".  The same features of the data
that give you these test stats that are "too big" will give you a
first-stage F-stat that is also "too big", and so the Stock-Yogo
critical values will be wrong.

Where it gets complicated is that the S-Y critical values for weak
identification come from Monte Carlos.  My understanding is that if you
want the "right" critical values for cases where the standard S-Y iid
assumption is loosened, you have to specify how it's loosened, i.e., in
your case, what kind of clustering you've got.

That said, using a cluster-robust first-stage F stat with the S-Y
critical values is not bad and in the absence of anything better is
probably the best you can do.

It's also worth noting that the first-stage F-stat can also be used as a
test for *under*identification a la Anderson.  (See the paper by myself,
Kit Baum and Steve Stillman in the latest issue of the SJ, vol. 7 no. 4
2007.)  This is a test with an asymptotic justification and uses
standard critical values, and the robust first-stage F stat with this
standard critical values is fine.  Since underidentification is a lower
hurdle than weak identification, if you can't reject the null that your
equation is underidentified, you can pretty safely also fail to reject
the null that it's weakly identified.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Mark

Prof. Mark E. Schaffer
Director
Centre for Economic Reform and Transformation
Department of Economics
School of Management & Languages
Heriot-Watt University
Edinburgh EH14 4AS  UK
44-131-451-3494 direct
44-131-451-3296 fax
http://www.sml.hw.ac.uk/cert

After all, i guess that as the
clustered f-statistic is much lower than the regular one, the
clustered critical value should also be lower? That is, don't
we require to much when we compare the clustered f-statistic
to the regular critical values.

Best,

Danny