st: RE: working with large datasets

From   "Nick Cox" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: working with large datasets
Date   Mon, 11 Feb 2008 21:39:46 -0000

You don't say what operating system you are using. See the archives for
very recent discussion of machines, etc., appropriate for large

Adrian de la Garza
Do you guys know how I can work with a very large dataset (30 Gb) in
Stata? The dataset is in a text format, and I'd like to know:

1. How I can extract a few variables or delete observations that don't
meet certain criteria; and

2. if it's possible to work with the entire dataset in Stata.