Re: st: Variance estimation with clusters

Subject   Re: st: Variance estimation with clusters
Date   Thu, 8 Nov 2007 11:00:26 -0500

Steven makes some good points.  I have a slightly different take:

1.  Use the -fpc- option, but understand what it means.   Imagine you
"sampled" w/o replacement 100% of establishments and workers in a
population; with the fpc's, all standard errors would be zero.  This
is as it should be; the svy SEs in a regression using the population
are zero, because svy SEs represent deviations around the population
value (not Fisher-Neyman notions of deviations about what might have
been observed in the population with a different random sprinkling of
regressors on individuals).

2. svy + panel = trouble.  If you want to run a fixed-effect
regression, consider -areg- which allows pweights that vary over time
and a -cluster- option.

3.   I would use the time-specific weights which measure the number of
person-years each observation represents in the population of workers
in the two years.  The population is then not people, but people*time.