Re: st: suppressing constant in qreg

From   Maarten buis <>
Subject   Re: st: suppressing constant in qreg
Date   Wed, 31 Oct 2007 14:33:28 +0000 (GMT)

--- Woolton Lee <> wrote:
> Is there any way to suppress the constant term when one estimates
> quantile regression using qreg?  I've fixed effects into the equation
> and many of the dummy variables are omitted because of collinearity
> with the constant term.

No, see:

Anyhow, even if it were possible I don't think it would be advisable,
as the dropping of many dummies suggests more serious problems to me.
Also I am not sure if adding dummies will give you a fixed effects
model in this case: I always think of a fixed effects model in terms of
demeaning, and demeaning doesn't seem quite right in quantile
regression (maybe "demedianing").

-- Maarten

Maarten L. Buis
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam