Re: st: new problem with table display

From   Maarten buis <>
Subject   Re: st: new problem with table display
Date   Wed, 31 Oct 2007 13:15:44 +0000 (GMT)

--- Richard Ohrvall <> wrote:
> Regarding Maartens comment, well I disagree, I often have weights
> calibrated to known population totals (eg. from a census). It
> therefore makes sense to have the exact population total in tables
> instead of a scientific notation with rounded figures. Of course
> these figures are usually a bit uncertain, but they are often treated
> as certain (eg. the population in the Netherlands at a certain date)
> and consistency in this aspect can help to avoid confusion.

Also not that this is also an issue of conveying information. If I hear
that the netherlands has on Wednesday 31 Oktober 14:08:54 GMT+01:00 an
estimated population of 16.387.511
than I would consider the relevant information to be that the
Netherlands has about 16 milion inhabitants, even if this number were
accurate upto all digits (which it isn't as the webpage I refer to is
careful to explain). The remaining digits do nothing but distract from
the real message.

-- Maarten

Maarten L. Buis
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam