Re: st: new problem with table display

From   Maarten buis <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: new problem with table display
Date   Wed, 31 Oct 2007 11:02:41 +0000 (GMT)

--- Richard Ohrvall <[email protected]> wrote:
> However, it seems really strange that you can't get the results
> without scientific notation. As shown in the example provided by
> Marten, the figures becomes rounded and that is even more annoying.
> Surely there most be a way to get the results without scientific
> notation in the result window without using any ado-files, or?

I can see the aesthetic reason for wanting to avoid scientific
notation, however there is good reason to be cautious here. The tables
are representations of your data, and data is hardly ever collected
with a presicion of more than a few digits. Even if your datafile
reports a variable with more than 8 digits (apperently the limit in
-tab-) you would have to put a lot of effort in convicing me the actual
measurements are accurate upto 3 digits, and I would be really
impressed if you could convince me that your measurements were accurate
upto 4 digits. From that point of view a 8 digit limit seems rather
safe.

-- Maarten

Maarten L. Buis
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam