RE: Re: st: programming graphs in stata

From   Maarten buis <>
Subject   RE: Re: st: programming graphs in stata
Date   Sat, 20 Oct 2007 10:39:26 +0100 (BST)

--- "Schonlau, Matthias" <> wrote:

> Great spineplot program Nick.
> I have two comments:
> 1) I wonder how easy it is to let the user specify the sort order
> along the x-axis.  I think the sort order is currently a result of
> the -contract- statement and the following -bysort- statement, I am
> not sure whether this is elegant, but may be one could just pass an
> optional sort variable down from the main spine plot.

The way a user can do that itself is first install the -egenmore-
package from -ssc- (type -ssc instal egenmore-), and to folow the
instructions in -help egenmore- under the heading -axis()-.

> 2) When some categories are small or labels are longer the labels for
> axis 2 (at the bottom) overlap. One way around that is to optionally
> allow the user to specify an angle `myangle':
> 	xla(`XLA', axis(2) ang(`myangle') noticks)

I was actually cleaning up code for a spineplot that I sent earlier to
the statalist to make it into a program for -ssc-, and that contained
both a -angle()- and an -alternate- option. But Nick had a better
solution so I stopped developing it.

-- Maarten

Maarten L. Buis
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam