RE: Re: st: programming graphs in stata

From   "Schonlau, Matthias" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: Re: st: programming graphs in stata
Date   Fri, 19 Oct 2007 16:48:57 -0400

Great spineplot program Nick.

I have two comments:

1) I wonder how easy it is to let the user specify the sort order along
the x-axis.  I think the sort order is currently a result of the
"contract" statement and the following "bysort" statement, I am not sure
whether this is elegant, but may be one could just pass an optional sort
variable down from the main spine plot.

(If the first variable in "spineplot var1 var2" is a two-level variable
for highlighting, users will likely want to sort bars in order of the
proportion of highlighted observations).

2) When some categories are small or labels are longer the labels for
axis 2 (at the bottom) overlap. One way around that is to optionally
allow the user to specify an angle `myangle':
	xla(`XLA', axis(2) ang(`myangle') noticks)
Another option, presumably much harder to program, might be to allow for
the "horizontal" option in graph twoway bar. This would result into
labels on horizontal labels the y-axis which are much less likely to
overlap.

I realize you are doing this all in your spare time and you may not be
interested in these particular things.

Thanks a lot for the great program!

Matt

may contain privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use,
of the original message.