st: RE: Dual Boot XP32 & Linux?

From   "Daniel Waxman" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Dual Boot XP32 & Linux?
Date   Thu, 18 Oct 2007 13:25:20 -0400

As a general suggestion, you might consider the option of using MS Virtual
PC as an alternative to dual-boot environments.
It is a freebie (although you need to own the OS which is virtualized) and
on new machines with hardware virtualization, there is less overhead than
you might think.
See:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/virtualpc/default.mspx

I run Vista 32, for example, and have XP virtualized for the few
applications that are not Vista-compatible (and for installing any program
which is of questionable provenance).   I believe that in theory, you could
run Vista 64 bit natively (and run Stata on that) and virtualize XP or Vista
32 for legacy apps.  There are some limitations on virtualization though
(e.g., no USB support, I believe), so check carefully.

Others might disagree, but I think that Vista is a joy to use compared to XP
32, and I wouldn't by a new machine with the latter unless forced to by
company policy or a major software compatibility problem (which would be
unusual).

Daniel

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
9:54 AM