st: RE: GLLAMM error: log-likelihood cannot be computed

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: GLLAMM error: log-likelihood cannot be computed
Date   Mon, 8 Oct 2007 20:05:35 +0100

-gllamm- I leave to experts on it.

-glm- produces predictions on the scale of the response,
whatever the link. It can also be quite sensible to use a
log scale for subsequent graphing. Indeed I've found
log link and log scale for graphs invaluable in some cases.
The results are not equivalent to transforming the response
because the log of the mean is not in general the mean
of the logs (and similarly for any nonlinear transformation).

However, you can't show zeros on a log scale. If you
try this, Stata just gives you a dopey graph. That's
its way of saying "Isn't that rather a silly thing
to ask for?"

Leny Mathew