Re: st: ODBC driver for Excel, <xmluse>

From   Arun Rajamohan <>
Subject   Re: st: ODBC driver for Excel, <xmluse>
Date   Thu, 27 Sep 2007 16:38:18 -0400

Here is what I have done,

In Mac OS X 10.4...

go to /applications/utilities/odbc administrator

add a new user dsn and use the driver actual access (must have actual technologies odbc driver installed - trial will copy only the first 3 rows of the dataset)

name it excel (you can use whatever name I guess) and point it to the excel database file in the ODBC access popup window.

Now ODBC list in Stata 10 (it might work with stata 9 as well). You will see excel (or the name you gave to the DSN) listed in it.

In stata,
odbc load, dialog(complete) dsn("excel") table("database name") or in stata menu -
File - Import ODBC data source - select the data source from the list

You should see the file and variable list.

Yet I think copying the the data from xls file straight into the Stata data editor is the best tactic (but of course it depends on your data type).

Hope it helps,