Re: st: ODBC driver for Excel, <xmluse>

From   Arun Rajamohan <>
Subject   Re: st: ODBC driver for Excel, <xmluse>
Date   Thu, 27 Sep 2007 15:37:56 -0400

ODBC driver from actual technologies <Actual ODBC Pack v 2.7 (for Mac OS X)> is what I have it does partially work - even though setting it up takes a bit of care. I use it to move user data between excel (csv), analyse it on stata and move it back to sqlite db. I can not say that I have had no issues.

Excel sheets can be read into stata after saving as csv files and using,
insheet using "~/desktop/xyz.csv", comma

One thing I learnt is that microsoft has not made it easy for others to export their files. Also see, data/newexcel.html

Hence the best bet is to use csv or even just copy the data from a xls sheet and paste it into stata worksheet. I understand (but not exactly) that if microsoft query is installed, then MS-excel can actually create a DSN containing excel files. Those excel files can be read by using
ODBC load "table name.xls" DSN("Excel files")

I have not had this magic happen yet. I am also waiting for someone who is done this (on mac would be more helpful) to elucidate this issue.