st: graph box error

From   Catherine Williams <>
Subject   st: graph box error
Date   Tue, 25 Sep 2007 16:48:51 -0700 (PDT)

Hi, I am new to Stata but am working through Ulrich
Kohler's Data Analysis using Stata to get to grip with
the software. One of the example:

.graph box income, over(emp) produces this error:
variable _box_sort not found

variable _000006 not found in using data

variable emp not found

on different attempts to produce the graph.

I have also tried:

.sysuse auto, clear
.graph box mpg, over(rep78) which produces the same

This does not seems to have affected other graphic
commands e.g.
.scatter price weight produced the desired result.

I checked with -help graph-, where -graph box- seems
to be a valid command.

Would appreciate advice on the matter as to what went
on and what can be done.

Thank you in advance,