Re: st: graph box error

From   Ulrich Kohler <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: graph box error
Date   Wed, 26 Sep 2007 09:18:46 +0200

Catherine Williams schrieb:
> Hi, I am new to Stata but am working through Ulrich
> Kohler's Data Analysis using Stata to get to grip with
> the software. One of the example:
>
> .graph box income, over(emp) produces this error:
> variable _box_sort not found
> r(111);
>
> or
>
> variable _000006 not found in using data
> r(111);
>
> or
>
> variable emp not found
> r(111);
>
> on different attempts to produce the graph.
>
> I have also tried:
>
> .sysuse auto, clear
> .graph box mpg, over(rep78) which produces the same
> errors.

Catherine,

thank you for using "Data analysis using Stata".

The commands you have showed us are definitely legal syntax. The only
explanation that comes to my mind is that your Stata installation have
become corrupted. Have you, or someone else, recently updated your Stata
installation? Quite often people forget to perform the last step of the
update. After the command

. update all

it is necessary to issue the command

. update swap

as well. Without this latter command your ado-files (external programs)
misfit with the Stata-"Kernel" (the compiled code in wstata.exe). The
effect are wired error messages up and then.

The same problem can arise if you have issued the command

. update ado

without stating

. update exe
. update swap

afterwards.

So, here is my proposal: issue the command -update swap- and try again
your graph commands again. If -update swap- brings up an error message like

 1.  Verifying new executables
File </path/stata-se.bin> was not found, aborting swap.

try to issue the commands

. update exe
. update swap

If the problem still remains please send the output of

. update query

Many regards

Uli