RE: st: RE: exact (more decimals) p values ?

From   David Airey <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   RE: st: RE: exact (more decimals) p values ?
Date   Fri, 21 Sep 2007 22:08:42 -0500

In my experience, the need for extra decimal places in P-values is
usually motivated by multiple comparisons. For instance, if you are
doing a genome scan of 10,000 polymorphism associations, then, on
average, one of these polymorphism associations will have a sample
P-value of P<=0.0001, even if all corresponding population associations
are zero.
This is my experience too. We do genome scans against microarray phenotypes, so multiplicity of tests becomes ridiculous. There should be some option to display p values in scientific notation.

--
David C. Airey, Ph.D.
Research Assistant Professor

*