RE: st: RE: exact (more decimals) p values ?

From   "Newson, Roger B" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: exact (more decimals) p values ?
Date   Fri, 21 Sep 2007 20:02:02 +0100

In my experience, the need for extra decimal places in P-values is
usually motivated by multiple comparisons. For instance, if you are
doing a genome scan of 10,000 polymorphism associations, then, on
average, one of these polymorphism associations will have a sample
P-value of P<=0.0001, even if all corresponding population associations
are zero.

In these cases, there is not yet a consensus, even amongst
statisticians, about what constitutes a "conventional significance
test". Most of the seminal references on practical multiple-test
procedures for large sets of P-values are dated 2001 or later. Also, it
would be very tedious to look at the returned results one by one,
especially as, with e-class commands, you must either do some extra
work, or get -estout-, -outreg- or -parmest- to do it for you.

Best wishes

Roger

Roger Newson
Lecturer in Medical Statistics