st: xtlogit (version 9 and 10) and xtmelogit

From   "Chen, Xiao" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: xtlogit (version 9 and 10) and xtmelogit
Date   Fri, 14 Sep 2007 13:02:29 -0700

Dear all,

I noticed some changes to xtlogit for the random effect models from
stata 9 to stata 10. Now the results using xtlogit in stata 10 are
slightly different from using xtlogit in stata 9. I wonder if someone
could explain what the implication of this difference is. Since they are
the same model, should the numerical difference be ignorable?

Now Stat 10 has xtmelogit for general random effect models, not just
random intercept models. Comparing xtmelogit and xtlogit for random
intercept model, it seems that there is some small numeric difference as
well. Would it be possible to match the results from the two commands by
adding some options to either xtlogit or xtmelogit? xtlogit runs much
faster for random intercept only model than xtmelogit, so I would tend
to use xtlogit more for random intercept only model, but how should I
reconcile the small difference?

Thanks in advance!

Xiao

Xiao Chen