st: multiple dummy variables -ologit, gologit, mlogit

From   "Gonzalez, Carolina (CIAT)" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: multiple dummy variables -ologit, gologit, mlogit
Date   Thu, 13 Sep 2007 15:39:16 -0500

 Hi all,
 how do I interpret the coefficients of multiple dummy variables, if I have an ordered logit model, gologit and  mlogit model ?. For example if  I have a categorical independent variable with let's say 4 possible outcomes: A,B,C,D. If I recode this variable into 4 dummies and incorporate 3 (B,C, D) into a regression as 3 independent variables. My question now is, how does the result mean? Do I have to treat each dummy variable as an independent or I have to compare each dummy variable (B,C,D) with the dropped dummy variable (A)?
thanks and regards Carolina