Re: st: multiple dummy variables -ologit, gologit, mlogit

From   Maarten buis <>
Subject   Re: st: multiple dummy variables -ologit, gologit, mlogit
Date   Thu, 13 Sep 2007 22:41:29 +0100 (BST)

--- "Gonzalez, Carolina (CIAT)" <c.gonzalez@CGIAR.ORG> wrote:
>  how do I interpret the coefficients of multiple dummy variables, if
> I have an ordered logit model, gologit and  mlogit model ?. For
> example if  I have a categorical independent variable with let's say
> 4 possible outcomes: A,B,C,D. If I recode this variable into 4
> dummies and incorporate 3 (B,C, D) into a regression as 3 independent
> variables. My question now is, how does the result mean? Do I have to
> treat each dummy variable as an independent or I have to compare each
> dummy variable (B,C,D) with the dropped dummy variable (A)?

A nice discussion on how to interpret categorical variables is:

For alternative codings for that categorical variable and their
interpretation see:

Hope this helps,

Maarten L. Buis
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam