Re: st: Problem with centile and normal confidence limits

From   "Isabel Canette, StataCorp LP" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Problem with centile and normal confidence limits
Date   Thu, 06 Sep 2007 17:06:57 -0500

James Shaw <james_shaw2004[at]yahoo[dot]com> reported
an inconsistency between the formula used to compute
the normal standard errors for the centiles and the formula
in the entry Manual for the command -centile-.

  >> I am having trouble replicating the normal confidence
  >> limits produced by -centile-.  The manual states that
  >> the standard error (Sq) of a given quantile, Cq, may
  >> be computed under the assumption of normality using
  >> the equation on p. 202 in the Stata Reference Manual
  >> (Release 9, A-G).  However, I have to multiply Sq by
  >> sqrt(n) to get the same endpoints as Stata.  My sample
  >> code and output are provided below.

James guesses that there may be a typo in the manual
entry, and he is right. The actual formula for the
standard errors in the normal case is:

s_q = sqrt( q(100-q)/n ) * 1/(100*Z)

We will fix this typo in the manual.

The formula also can be found in:
   Kendall's Advanced Theory of Statistics, by A. Stuart
and K. Ord, 6th Edition, Edward Arnold. (see formula 10.29
on page 358).

  Isabel
  icanette[at]stata[dot]com