st: re: a question on do-file editor

From   Kit Baum <>
Subject   st: re: a question on do-file editor
Date   Wed, 1 Aug 2007 21:23:38 -0400

Asgar said

When I am trying to insert more text lines on my Do-file on the Do-file
Editor, Stata gives the following error message box as follows:
"you have reached to maximum number of characters that the Do-file
Editor can hold(30000 bytes). No more texts may be inserted."
I know that I can split my Do-file to two smaller ones but if I do not
want to do this way, otherwise, I am just wondering is there any way to
increase the maximum number of characters of the Do-file Editor to more
than 30000 bytes?

You do not indicate whether you are running the current version of Stata (10.0) or the platform on which you are running Stata. I just tested my Do-File Editor (Stata/MP, Mac OS X) and it is quite happy with a 76,000 byte program. The -texteditors- document (ssc desc texteditors) indicates a 128K limit for most operating systems:

But if your Preferences menu item does not contain an option to change the size of the Do-File editor's buffer, you should peruse the -texteditors- document for an editor which runs on your operating system, preferably one with bells and whistles such as syntax coloring.

* For searches and help try: