RE: st: Unbalanced panel, count number of incidents

From   "Andrew Stocking" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Unbalanced panel, count number of incidents
Date   Mon, 23 Jul 2007 14:34:59 -0400

Nick,

Thank you for the program - it seems like a great solution!  Two quick
follow up question.

My date variable is currently available down to the second (i.e.,
-clocktime- to stata, though my 9.2 version of Stata doesn't recognize the
-clocktime- option).  Right now I have a string that appears:
11/5/2001 15:46
or from Excel I've converted this to (I imagine stata can do the same,
though it seems somewhat more complicated):
37200.6569

I don't really care about the second or minutes or hours right now except
that there are multiple contacts on the same day differentiated only by
seconds, minutes, or hours.  So, my two questions:
1) How do I set the date with hours, minutes, seconds as the time dimension
of my panel data (-tsset-)?  If I -trunc- off the h,m,s of the
Excel-converted date, I receive the obvious error that there are "repeated
time values within panel".  It seems like the -clocktime- format should do
it, but I get an error regarding clocktime as not recognized:
-tsset  Sent_Date, clocktime delta(1 day)-
I've installed -egenmore- and read about the -dhms- function

2) What's the best way to deal with this with respect to your -count_recent-
program below and the fact that I'll have two contacts in the same day?  How
do I set the lag to a whole day and have the program still accurately count
totals?

Thanks,
Andy