RE: st: Unbalanced panel, count number of incidents

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Unbalanced panel, count number of incidents
Date   Sun, 22 Jul 2007 18:59:54 +0100

I don't see how Naomi's solution gets at the most
difficult part of this problem, which is to take account
of the irregularity of times observed in counting over
the last # days.

-egen, count()-, or even -egen, total()- which is a better
bet for similar problems, is more or less useless for this
kind of problem as the relevant time interval varies.

I too am probably missing something simple. However,
when all inspiration fails, try brute force.
The brute force approach is quite easy to program
and at worst requires a single loop over the observations.

An approach discussed at length in

Cox, N.J. 2007. Making it count. Stata Journal 7(1)

is to set up a variable, loop over possibilities using
-count- for each observation, and replace each value of that
variable by the result.

This is built into the following program:

*! 1.0.0 NJC 22 July 2007
program count_recent
	version 8
	syntax [if] [in], Lag(numlist int max=1 >0) Generate(str)

	quietly {
		confirm new var `generate'

		marksample touse
		count if `touse'
		if r(N) == 0 error 2000

		tsset
		local p "`r(panelvar)'"
		local t "`r(timevar)'"
		if "`p'" == "" {
			tempvar p
			gen byte `p' = 1
		}

		gen `generate' = .

		forval i = 1/`=_N' {
			if `touse'[`i'] {
				count if `touse' ///
				& inrange(`t'[`i'] - `t', 1, `lag') ///
				& `p' == `p'[`i']
				replace `generate' = r(N) in `i'
			}
		}
	}
end

What we are counting, for each observation, are
how many observations are

(c) in the same panel (whenever there is panel structure)
-- you don't quite say this is what you want, but I guess
it's true.

(b) within 1 to -lag- (compulsory option) time units previous

(a) relevant (by default all observations). This is determined
by any -if- or -in- conditions.

I assume a prior -tsset-.

So, examples could be

tsset ID Date
count_recent , lag(30) generate(prev30)
count_recent if Response == 1, lag(60) generate(pos_prev60)

Naomi Levy

> I am no expert here, and there is likely to be a much
> easier way to do this than what I am suggesting, but this is what I
> would do:
>
> I would -reshape- your data from long form to wide
> form so that each row is an ID and the responses on each day
> of contact
> become separate variables.
>
> The new form would look like this:
>
> ID    Response37200    Var137200    Var237200
> Response37210    Var137210      Var237210
> 1                1                      1                 1
>                0                           2                    1
>
> Before
> you do this I suggest dropping any variables you don't need for this
> analysis and renaming variables so their names are shorter (e.g.
> response to r).  Also, if all you are interested in for the
> analysis are more recent
> dates of contact, you can drop all the data for prior dates
> of contact.
>
> the syntax for reshape is:
> reshape wide [varlist], i(id) j(date)
>
> once
> you've done that, you can just generate a new variable that
> sums across
> the responses (once counting non-missing responses, and once counting
> positive responses).
>
> after doing that, you can easily reshape the data back to long form:
> reshape long [varlist], i(id) j(date)

Andrew Stocking