RE: st: Unbalanced panel, count number of incidents

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Unbalanced panel, count number of incidents
Date   Mon, 23 Jul 2007 20:04:29 +0100

Stata is not a time machine. Therefore, any version
of Stata cannot recognise features introduced in a later version.
You appear to be looking at some Stata 10 documentation
and using Stata 9.2. That can only lead to (occasional) confusion.

37200 is not a Stata daily date that could be part of your
data. You refer to Excel, which I understand to be a Microsoft
program. I know very little about it, but it may be that it
is using a base date that differs from Stata's, possibly 1 January 1900
rather than 1 January 1960. I would be careful, however,
as it is documented that Excel is incorrect about whether 1900
was a leap year, a case of bug-for-bug compatibility with Lotus 1-2-3.
Stata is correct on this point.

Otherwise the most developed (unofficial) solutions for date-time
manipulations in Stata 9.2 appear to be -ntimeofday-
and -stimeofday- published in the Stata Journal.

In Stata 9.2 you can set your date-times with unspecified
time unit. In your case that might need to be seconds.
You may need to worry about an appropriate display
format, or just not bother.

A better bet is to upgrade as soon as possible and make use
of Stata 10's facilities.

My program doesn't care about time units, so long as
your data are -tsset-.

Andrew Stocking