st: RV: RE: Sum over all possible combinations

From   "J E" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: RV: RE: Sum over all possible combinations
Date   Sun, 22 Jul 2007 15:42:56 -0500

Thanks to Nick and to Sebastian for their initial responses to my query I am afraid, however, that both responses, do not fully solve the problem I need to tackle

In the case of Nick's comment (that the Sum of absolute differences over all possible combinations is related to the gini coefficient and to lmoment indicators): is true. However since I need to reweight each absolute difference by a somewhat complex weighting scheme (I did not posted the weights to avoid adding complexities to my query), the shortcut suggested by Nick would not work in my case.

The strategy proposed by Sebastian does work:

bys group: gen g_i=_n
tempfile join_file
preserve
ren y_i y_k
save `join_file', replace
restore
joinby group using `join_file', unmatched(none)
bys group: egen sum_dy = sum(abs(y_i - y_k))
bys group g_i: keep if _n==1

However it only works for relatively small data sets. Very rapidly the strategy eats all my memory since it needs to save in memory a data base containing all possible combinations.

Giving this let me ask if somebody will know an alternative to Sebastian strategy that will not require this intermediate step. Alternatively, will the use of mata will allow me to get around this problem.

thanks in advance!

Julio