st: Unbalanced panel, count number of incidents

From   "Andrew Stocking" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Unbalanced panel, count number of incidents
Date   Sun, 22 Jul 2007 03:35:34 -0400

Hello.  I have an unbalanced panel of subjects who have been contacted very
irregularly over the past 5 years. Total contacts range from 40-250 during
the 5 year period depending on the person.  I'd like to create two
variables: one that counts the total number of contacts in the last 30 or 60
days and a second that sums the number of positive responses over the same
30 or 60 days.  For each contact there could be anywhere from 0-15 contacts
in the last 30 days.

My data looks like:
ID	Date	Response	Var1	Var2
1	37200		1	1	1
1	37210		0	2	1
1	37215		1	3	2
1	37229		1	4	3
1	37231		0	4	2
2	37201		0	1	0

I can't make egen count() work for me (or really anything else).

Thanks in advance,
Andy

Andrew Stocking
University of Maryland