Re: st: probit- dprobit

Subject   Re: st: probit- dprobit
Date   Fri, 11 May 2007 11:06:49 -0500

At 09:55 AM 5/11/2007, Carola Weiss wrote:
Dear statalist members,

I�m using the probit command to figure out the impact of tenure to work satisfaction (binary variable: 1= high work satisfaction).
I should estimate the marginal effects by using dprobit.
Can anybody tell me what�s he differnece? I should only interpret significance and direction of the effects. Therefore I only need the probit results, don�t I?
Why do you think you should only interpret significance and direction of effects? One of my pet peeves is that people do indeed often only look at sign and significance, and the practical/substantive significance remains unclear. Marginal effects are one way of getting at substantive significance.

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
HOME: (574)289-5227
EMAIL: [email protected]
WWW: http://www.nd.edu/~rwilliam