Re: st: an ordinary two-way table

Subject   Re: st: an ordinary two-way table
Date   Fri, 11 May 2007 11:00:00 -0400

Nick--
I agree with much of what you say, as usual, but it seems to me that
-tabulate- could have an option -label- (much like option -missing-)
that would make sure that every category of a numeric variable that
has a value label defined for it would be included in the table.  Then
many of these odd tables could be constructed in 2 or 3 easy steps.  I
can envision an easy ado-based solution not using Mata, but using
-label save- and -file read- loops to read off the 4th "word" of the
do-file that results from -label save-.  If I have a chance, I'll
write up a quickie version later today...

You could even make a version that makes SAS-like tables, where
categories with the same label are collapsed into the same row or
column, but I doubt I would provide that functionality (call me
paternalistic).