Re: st: 2SLS and Probit

Subject   Re: st: 2SLS and Probit
Date   Thu, 10 May 2007 12:57:13 -0400

Stephan Brunow --
Note that the FAQ you cite contains the "Warning: Instrumental
variables are commonly used to fit simultaneous systems models. What
follows is not appropriate for such models." However, -ivreg- (or
better, -ivreg2- avail via -ssc inst ivreg2, replace-) and -treatreg-
are both good options for estimating a regression of continuous Y on
endogenous indicator variable X using instruments Z, though they may
give quite different answers.

ssc inst ivreg2, replace
ssc inst esta, replace
clear
use http://fmwww.bc.edu/ec-p/data/hayashi/griliches76.dta
reg lw80 lw s expr mrt
est sto ols
ivreg2 lw80 lw s expr (mrt=med iq age)
est sto iv
treatreg lw80 lw s expr, treat(mrt=med iq age lw s expr)
est sto treat
esta *, mti keep(mrt) lab se