Statalist The Stata Listserver

Re: st: lrtest: negative values

From (Roberto G. Gutierrez, StataCorp)
Subject   Re: st: lrtest: negative values
Date   Fri, 04 May 2007 08:29:02 -0500

Christoph Wunder <> asks:

> I am testing for the significance of a random intercept in a two-level model
> using lrtest (after xtmixed). Although I use exactly the same dataset and
> the same set of explanatory variables (i.e., the models differ only in the
> level-2 random intercept), the log-likelihood of the unrestricted model is
> smaller than of the restricted one. lrtest calculates a negative value of
> the test statistic.

> How can one interpret the result? Any suggestions?

[output deleted]

Your models are not nested (in the model sense), and thus you should not
expect the ordinal relationship in log-likelhoods associated with nested

Your "restricted" model has random effects at the levels of variable -level1-.

Your "unrestricted" model has random effects at the levels of variable
-level2-, and random effects at the levels of variable -level1- nested within

As such, your restricted model cannot be considered a special case of the
unrestricted model.  Perhaps you meant instead to have -level2- nested within
-level1- for the second model, in which case you could then apply an LR test.
If this is so, simply switch the ordering of the level specifications in your
call to -xtmixed-.  Recall, the ordering of nesting goes left to right from
biggest groupings to smallest groupings.