st: RE: RE: log files with no command

From   "JP Azevedo" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: RE: log files with no command
Date   Fri, 4 May 2007 09:51:58 -0300

Hello Maarten,
Many thanks for your suggestion.
Thanks,
JP

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Maarten Buis
Sent: Friday, May 04, 2007 8:55 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: st: RE: log files with no command

--- JP Azevedo wrote:
> I would like to know if there is anyway I could generate a Stata log
> file with no commands. I'm just interested in keeping the output, and
> not the Stata syntax.

That is not easy, and for a good reason: Output only makes sense if you know
what produced it. It is the commands that document exactly what you have
done, and consequently what the output means. If you really want to do it
you can store the .do file that creates your output as an .ado file (say
analysis.ado), -cd- to the directory where this file is stored, start the
log file and type analysis. But again, I advise strongly against it.

Hope this helps,
Maarten

Maarten L. Buis
Department of Social Research Methodology Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
Boelelaan 1081
1081 HV Amsterdam
The Netherlands

visiting address: