RE: st: Viewing code for matrix functions

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Viewing code for matrix functions
Date   Tue, 6 Mar 2007 21:33:35 -0000

But not the complete story. -which- does have more
general uses, as its help indicates. But functions
other than some Mata functions and -egen- functions
remain beyond its scope.

n j cox

> -which- tells you the location of
> an .ado file defining a command, so long
> as you have it installed, and as a
> bonus will tell you if that command is in
> fact bullt-in.
>
> However, -cholesky()- is not a command, but, as
> you say, a function. So it does not come
> under the scope of -which-. (Nor is it defined
> by an .ado.)
>
> In fact, no code for functions is accessible to
> users. All are wired in to the executable.
>
> The exceptions are -egen- functions (which
> despite their name are more like subcommands)
> and Mata functions. Some Mata functions are
> visible.
>
> The word "function" in Stata is somewhat overloaded,
> especially if users come with preconceptions
> from other languages about what is or
> is not a function, but that's the story.

Rachel