RE: st: RE: RE: Stata formulas

From   Philip Ryan <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   RE: st: RE: RE: Stata formulas
Date   Thu, 01 Mar 2007 11:08:40 +1030

At 11:28 PM 28/02/2007 +0000, Nick Cox wrote:

...snip

Like it or not, StataCorp has invested
a vast amount in its documentation for sale and wholesale
duplication of the manuals for open access just is not
likely. We can all agree that it would be useful if it
were there, but it is not going to happen. That's my
guess, at least.
.. and in fact we can do better than guess. As Nick will remember, Bill G himself told us at last year's Australian and New Zealand Stata Users meeting that StataCorp had no intention of releasing electronic versions of the manuals. He was quite adamant on this point. It did not seem to be a matter of price - more a matter of protecting Stata's IP rights in a world of illegal copying/piracy etc. Bill did suggest though that the help files might contain more content - the graphics help was cited as an example of the way Stata was heading. Presumably that SAS provides a CD version of manuals and Stata does not reflects the different business models of the two companies.

My own experience (with all the manuals since Release 3) is that they represent one of the better investments one can make - but of course investments are costly and not accessible to everyone. I wonder if there is a trade in version 8 manuals on eBay?

Phil

Philip Ryan
Associate Professor,
Director, Data Management & Analysis Centre
Discipline of Public Health

copyright. If you are not the intended recipient please
prohibited. No representation is made that this email or
any attachments are free of viruses. Virus scanning is
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/