st: RE: Surface plots or heat maps

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Surface plots or heat maps
Date   Wed, 14 Feb 2007 22:24:30 -0000

Perspective or wireframe representations are
not supported in Stata 8 or 9 graphics to the
best of my knowledge. To do it with reasonable
generality -- e.g. not assuming data points are
on a grid with square mesh -- is perhaps sufficiently
tricky that many people are using something
else while hoping that StataCorp get round to
it eventually.

Heat or contour or isopleth representations are
more nearly in sight. The success of -tmap- (now -spmap-)
shows that much is possible in Stata 8/9 with
persistence. Vince Wiggins' talks at the London
and Boston meetings in 2004 include various striking
examples. But anyone who guesses that contouring is
easy should try programming it.

Wallace, John