stepwise like SPSS? [was: RE: st: Means test]

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   stepwise like SPSS? [was: RE: st: Means test]
Date   Wed, 14 Feb 2007 22:32:32 -0000

Replying to a different thread and not changing the title
are not recommended.

You want what I see as full-blown intravenous stepwise.

StataCorp's support for any flavour of
stepwise -- by comparison with SPSS -- is lukewarm at best.

You could build on some user-written tools to write
your own, but I guess that's not in prospect if you
are just beginning.

Throw "stepwise" at a random bunch of users at a Stata users'
meeting, and I think the reactions would be some mix of

	snake oil!!
	wishful thinking!
	dodgy, but useful with care

and somebody would suggest that you go and read Frank Harrell's
"Regression modeling strategies" (Springer 2001) on why
you shouldn't.

David Zatz