RE: st: Non-linear MLE programming + inequality constraints

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Non-linear MLE programming + inequality constraints
Date   Thu, 1 Feb 2007 14:37:45 -0000

I think the objection to that is that it is
dimensionally unbalanced. That is, X2 and
whatever is added to it should have the same units
and the same dimensions. (Perhaps economists don't
care about these things, but my wannabe physicist
persona does.)

That would be achieved by fixing it to

ln(X2 + beta * exp(alpha))

but then we are back where we started, because
unless beta emerges as positive from estimation
without constraint, the logarithm
of the sum is not guaranteed to be determinate
for all X2. And if we are going to do that,
we might as well be working with

ln(X2 + alpha)

as originally mentioned.

Rodrigo A. Alfaro