Statalist The Stata Listserver

st: RE: xtivreg2 and clustering

From   "Schaffer, Mark E" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: xtivreg2 and clustering
Date   Thu, 1 Feb 2007 14:20:19 -0000

That's correct.  The model is the same.  The only reason the SEs might
differ is if you use a small sample correction (the -small- option) that
accounts for the number of regressors.  -xtivreg2- doesn't count the
partialled-out ones.

> So my question is: Is what I've said above wrong and
> estimates should be different, or is the fwl option intended
> as housekeeping, to make sure I don't go interpreting
> standard errors I don't understand?

Housekeeping, but the main use is to help you get a VCV that is full

> Also, could someone please point me to articles about
> clustering in this case (e.g. showing why the VC isn't of
> full rank), since I'd like to gain some intuition about the problem.

Now *that's* a good question!  I'd like to see a proper reference
myself.  There has been some discussion on Statalist of this and related
topics, and Vince Wiggins gave a good explanation with respect to
singleton dummies a few years ago:

There is the very terse mention in Baum-Schaffer-Stillman (SJ 2003 3:1),
but we don't offer an intuitive explanation.