Re: st: Non-linear MLE programming + inequality constraints

From   "Rodrigo A. Alfaro" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Non-linear MLE programming + inequality constraints
Date   Thu, 1 Feb 2007 09:17:16 -0500

following Maarten suggestion:
lnY=B0+B1*lnX1+B2*ln (X2+exp(alpha))+epsilon??
R.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Thursday, February 01, 2007 6:00 AM
Subject: RE: st: Non-linear MLE programming + inequality constraints

There are various further takes. Here I am dredging my memory
for what I recall about production functions. I read some of
the econometric literature on fitting production functions
when working out how best to fit power functions to environmental
data. The economics was irrelevant, as the algebra was the same.
My impression is that production functions, modelled as the
product of power terms, don't have a vast amount of theory behind them:
they are just convenient forms that seem qualitatively right for the
kinds of monotonic behaviours that might occur. "Cobb-Douglas" may
be one of those incantations handed down from generation to generation,
obscuring the fact that power functions are not a very big deal
(and sometimes wrong, as when there are lower or upper limits in
operation).

Firms with a zero for a covariate are contradicting the
model. If the model is correct, they shouldn't be in business.
So you have to decide which you believe more, the data or the
model.

You might decide to exclude those firms from the data fitted.
They are just not suitable for fitting this model.

You might decide that the zeros cannot really be zeros, but
represent some measurement problem. If so, one tactic is
to map the zeros to missings and try imputing the missings
on the basis of the other covariates. Otherwise, you might
fudge the zeros to some small nonzero amount. However, that is
unattractive as such data points may have a lot of leverage,
whatever you do, particularly once you transform.

In fact, none of these takes is especially attractive....

Maarten buis

> There is no command in Stata that enables you to use an inequality
> constraint. There are tricks you can use. For instance: A
> variance must
> be larger then zero, so instead of maximizing the variance you can
> maximize the ln(variance), a proportion must remain between zero and
> one, so instead of maximizing the proportion one can maximize
> the logit
> of the proportion, a correlation must stay between -1 and 1 so instead
> of maximizing the correlation one can maximize the Fisher Z
> transformed
> correlation.
>
> However, Nick just explained that you do not need to do that, and I
> agree. Adding some constant to a variable so that the log doesn't
> become zero is making an error, maybe or maybe not a necessary error
> but still an error, why do you expect your data to be able to inform
> you about an error?

aslihan arslan