Statalist The Stata Listserver

st: "Wrong" result with encode / merge ?

From   "Thomas Erdmann" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: "Wrong" result with encode / merge ?
Date   Thu, 23 Nov 2006 12:05:09 +0100

I have a dataset with ids that look like: AT18679U (two strings followed by
5 numbers, optionally followed by another string)

Between the two datasets I would like to merge only the first 7 digits are
equal, therefore I generated

generate id7temp=substr(id,1,7)
encode id7temp, gen(id7)
sort id7

and merged the two datasets by id7. When I quality checked the results there
were several mismatches, which don't seem to happen if I use the string id
and not the encoded one. Why is that?

Thanks in advance