Statalist The Stata Listserver

Re: st: "Wrong" result with encode / merge ?

From   "Austin Nichols" <>
Subject   Re: st: "Wrong" result with encode / merge ?
Date   Thu, 23 Nov 2006 08:04:22 -0500

Thomas Erdmann--
You should merge on id7temp, not id7, since when you -encode-, the
string id7temp is converted to numeric values, and the order of
assignment may differ across your two datasets (try -la li- to see the
assignment in each dataset).  If you want to use a numeric id, you can
generate one using a one-to-one mapping, using -gen- and a loop over
all possible characters, but it is more straightforward to merge on
the string var.