Statalist The Stata Listserver

st: concitional means in regression

From   Blau Blau <>
Subject   st: concitional means in regression
Date   Fri, 27 Oct 2006 13:00:34 +0200 (CEST)

by definition the regression line should go through the conditional means of Y-variable in each X-variable. But when I compute conditional means of Y in each category of X the regression line does not go through these conditional means.

In statistical literature concerning regression I have found this explanation: we  work with sample and therefore we do not have all observations of Y variable in each X-variable, and this is the reason why we do not observe the correspondence among measured conditional means of Y variable and predicted conditional means given by regression line.

Is this explanation correct and just one possible?

Thanks. Tomas