Statalist The Stata Listserver

st: RE: concitional means in regression

From   "Maarten Buis" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: concitional means in regression
Date   Fri, 27 Oct 2006 13:18:48 +0200

The real reason why the regression line is not equal to the conditional means is that
with regression we usually assume that we that these conditional means lie on a
straight line. In reality this constraint does not have to be true. Also, we can relax
this assumption by adding the variable as a series of dummies. See the example

*----------------begin example--------------------
sysuse auto, clear
recode rep78 1/2=3
tabstat price, stat(mean) by(rep78)