Statalist The Stata Listserver

Re: st: minimum of "all other variables"

From   "Svend Juul" <SJ@SOCI.AU.DK>
To   <>
Subject   Re: st: minimum of "all other variables"
Date   Tue, 17 Oct 2006 09:16:42 +0200

Steve wrote:

... Thanks to Nick, I have a program (-myboolean-) that turns fuzzy sets
into multiset fuzzy intersections. So, for example, with fuzzy sets A
and B, running -myboolean A B- yields four new variables: ab Ab aB AB
(where lower = absence [1-set], upper = presence [set], and -- for
example -- AB = min(A,B)). Enough background I hope.

What I'd like to do now is to create new variables that contain the
maximum value of all OTHER configurations for each configuration
produced by -myboolean-. Manually, this is easy to do: otherAB =
max(Ab,aB,ab). But with 32 or 64 configuration variables, this is very
time consuming. Is there a way to automate this so that:
foreach var of varlist ab - AB {
gen other`var' = max(***all other vars in varlist but `var'***)

One final note: in the crisp set case (where set membership is always
0/1) other`var' would always = 1-`var'. But this is not true in the
fuzzy case. Hence the difficulty.

If I understand you right, this exemplifies a solution. Somebody else
may find a smarter way:

set obs 20
gen ab=uniform()
gen Ab=uniform()