st: RE: RE: Negative Hausman value?

To   "Pavlos C. Symeou" <[email protected]>, <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: RE: Negative Hausman value?
Date   Tue, 17 Oct 2006 07:49:41 +0100

Pavlos,

Both estimates of the error variance are consistent under the null, so
either H stat is reportable.  I think -sigmamore- is more traditional
but it doesn't matter.  Of course, in your case both H stats are
enormous and it doesn't matter which you report.

> 2) Shouldn't they have different Df since the two options are
> based on different covariance matrices?

No.  It is not the vcv that is different, it is the estimate of sigma,
the error variance.  Under the null, both the sigma from the RE
estimation and the sigma from the FE estimation are consistent.  The
formula for the vcv uses sigma.  For example, in a RE estimation you
automatically use the RE sigma in the vcv.  But there is nothing
stopping you from replacing it with the FE sigma and getting a slightly
different, but also consistent, vcv.  Have a look at
Baum-Schaffer-Stillman 2003 (Stata Journal, also Boston College working
paper).

Cheers,
Mark

Prof. Mark Schaffer
Director, CERT
Department of Economics
School of Management & Languages
Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh EH14 4AS
tel +44-131-451-3494 / fax +44-131-451-3296
email: [email protected]
web: http://www.sml.hw.ac.uk/ecomes